Sunday, February 28, 2010

Why should I tip waiters and taxi drivers and hairdressers?

I'm self-employed and no-one tips me - I charge a fee for the work I do and that's all I expect to get.Why should I tip waiters and taxi drivers and hairdressers?
It's a real crock Americans are buying into. Waiters are paid below minimum wage, which is the start of the problem; they should be paid a decent wage, and no tips, in my opinion. I see no reason whatsoever that hairdressers should get a tip with what they charge. Taxi drivers, of the three, seem sometimes to deserve a tip more than others, if they get you where you are going in the least amount of time possible, and in comfort. Cabbies could/ and do drive people all over to run up higher fees. America is tip crazy; other countries survive quite well with a system of wages for work done, period.Why should I tip waiters and taxi drivers and hairdressers?
Because they are working for you and dont generally make much.
Because you choose to use their services and you are fully aware that you have to tip. You do not have to eat at restaurants with waiters and you can do your own hair and take the bus. Its a choice, if you don't want to tip then don't frequent places where you have to tip. Pretty simple solution.
Just because no one tips you, you should not begrudge a little extra to other people who must wait on you and be nice to you and do exactly what you want them to do while not even getting paid minimum wage.


You should tip anyone who has to make you happy.
Because waiters don't charge fees. They get paid well below minimum wage (the average where I live is $2.13 an hour) and they don't make any sort of commission off the food they sell.


I know most people respond to this with 'Well then waiters should be paid better'. Maybe, maybe not, but the waiters don't control that.
It is a tradition. It is not necessary that you tip, but if you don't, you may get a dirty look. In China, there is no tippng allowed. One way to resolve this problem is to add the tipping in your bill and ban tipping altogether.
I usually tip a penny if there is bad service or I have a card that says, TIP, LOOK AT A NEW LINE OF WORK, YOU STINK IN THIS ONE
I think it's because of the hourly wage they receive. I know for sure that servers make very little hourly, and they heavily rely on the tips that they receive. I believe it's the same for hairdressers and taxi drivers.





Since you are self employed, you are in charge of what you are making, which is a luxury that most people in the service industry do not have.

No comments:

Post a Comment